continuing OS vs FS (was: Information about the Free Software

Armin Herbert Armin.Herbert at gmx.net
Sat Dec 2 11:30:16 UTC 2000

Hi,

On Samstag,  2. Dezember 2000 00:17, Olivier Berger wrote:

(kmail has still got some inconveniences ;-)

> I would suggest others to do the same in their languages...
> unfortunately, UK (ang germans afaik) don't have such a word to use, ...

In german language "frei" means "libre", not anything like "gratis". A few
days ago I've seen a documentation on tv (3sat) about the Comdex, where
they confused these words - but they also told that FreeBSD is going to
release their Linux distribution soon *g*

> but in this case, why not use "Libre software"... as we did for the
> Libre Software Meeting, last year in Bordeaux (with RMS approval on that
> term, btw ;) : http://lsm.abul.org/ ?

Wouldn't this break some laws in France? I thought you had to use the term
"logiciel" instead of "software" ?

Armin (currently chewing a "caoutchouc de mastication" ;-))