Electricite de France distributes one of its numerical simulation softwares (Code_Aster) as free software

Olivier Berger oberger at april.org
Tue Oct 23 23:27:27 UTC 2001

Bernhard Reiter a écrit :

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 04:28:11PM +0200, Olivier Berger wrote:
> > I wanted to let you know that EDF has just released one of its numerical
> > simulation softwares (mechanics mostly) as free software (under the
> > GPL).
>
> Right now it is _not_ under the GPL.
>
> http://www.code-aster.org/telechargement/read_license.php?dl=Code_Aster
> | The present license is entirely based on the official GNU GENERAL
> | PUBLIC LICENSE, Version 2, June 1991, with the three (3) following
> | remarks :
> |   - We call your attention on the high level of technology of the
> |     Code_Aster software. The utilization of the software requires
> |     specific skills in computational mechanics using finite element
> |     method.
> |   - This License shall be governed by and shall be interpreted in
> |     accordance with the French Laws.
> |   - All disputes or differences arising out in connection with this
> |     License which cannot be settled amicably shall be settled by the
> |     commercial court of Paris or any other competent court of Paris
> |     which would be determined.
>
> The second and third remark might be problematic and even render it
> uncompatible with the GPL.

You're right.

This is something that we discovered afterwards, and which sould
definitely be addressed by EDF.

I think we'll have to chat a lot with their lawyers in the next days.

We'll let you know what happens on that matter.

And of course, I hope they won't change their mind about the choice of
the GPL, since they seem to have found lots of benefits in the GPL...
and I hope these 3 points thay wanted to add won't block anything... the
future will tell.

If only they had asked us before doing such "additions" to the GNU GPL
:( But of course their lawyers are smarter than us ;)

Regards,
--
Olivier BERGER - Secrétaire de l'association APRIL
APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)