Free software on Windows

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Oct 31 18:56:42 UTC 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 03:59:34PM +0100, David Mentre wrote:
> Notice that I don't won't to defend the idea of putting free software on
> Windows. It is just to have some arguments about the pros and cons.

I tend to open another line of arguments.
Sometimes users see functionality of the tool in this case the computer.
This means they are not bound by the platform, but by the tool for
one task they use. As an example say encyption of E-Mail.
If we can make a proprietory tools for a task go away and replace it
with a Free Software one, this is a good step.

That sometimes means a tool for a task running on any platform
will replace proprietory tools and create more freedom.
To stay in the example: That you can use gnupg to some extend to
encrypt mails on windows systems is an advantage even for users
of GNU-Systems.
However the FSFE will focus on GNU-Systems of course and the window
port of gnupg was financially supported by a third party.

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)