GPL and dsitribution of source code

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue May 28 07:45:04 UTC 2002

Jan Wildeboer <jan.wildeboer at gmx.de> wrote:
> The problem with the FAQ is that they seem to avoid the main question I
> am asking. The GPL-FAQ doesn't clearly state what happens when I don't
> distribute binaries but sources only.

It seems to deal with it, although indirectly.

[...]
> Whereas GPL 3b says that I may only:
>
>       b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three [...]

But that is a subclause of:
  3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

So 3 (and therefore 3b) is concerned with the case where you offer only
binaries for download initially.  I think PHP can be compiled these days
anyway?

> Or am I brutally wrong here?

No, just not reading the entire clause which is puzzling you, I think.