Fwd: paying artists (was: Re: Freedom or Copyright? - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation) (FSF)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 19:43:20 UTC 2008

to list as well.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>
Date: 14 Feb 2008 19:43
Subject: Re: paying artists (was: Re: Freedom or Copyright? - GNU
Project - Free Software Foundation) (FSF)
To: Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com>

On 14/02/2008, Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> wrote:

 >  I really don't buy into the "they don't have a right to earn a living
 >  unless they can make money on it on their own" arguments that some
 >  people have implied. It is possible to view copyright as a kind of
 >  monopoly, but in a true economic sense, it's nothing of the sort because
 >  equivalent goods and services are available from a range of different
 >  places (in the case of music, perhaps not as many as you'd want, but
 >  still not a true monopoly).

This appears to be attempting to argue semantics. The whole point of
 copyright is to provide an entirely artificial monopoly. The social
 question then becomes what that is for.

 Your posts to this list have been largely equivocation; you're now
 trying to retrospectively redefine your terms.

 - d.