Nokia spreading FUD?

Antenore Gatta antenore at simbiosi.org
Mon Mar 14 16:37:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Matthias Kirschner <mk at fsfe.org> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hello Matthias!

> just wrote a blog article about Nokia's statement where they announce
> selling the proprietary Qt business to Digia.
> http://blogs.fsfe.org/mk/?p=736

Thank you very much for the article, I was not aware of the deal yet!

> I am interested in your opinion.

Indeed at the beginning I was quite happy of the decision, honestly is
better for Qt, to be far from the rotten and infected nails of
Microsoft.

I even thought that Nokia made a mistake giving it away to a small
company, there are several examples of great works made by small
companies in the Free Software scenes. So I screamed hooray! A new
Trolltech!

But, unlucky, looking at the Digia history I cannot find out its
commitment in the Free Software and/or Open Source, but just this news
(16/02):

http://www.digia.com/C2256FEF0043E9C1/0/405002245

That sounds to me like lubricant to make it less painful, I hope you
(all) get my point ;-(

So, yes, this is a nefarious news

We need a fork or forget Qt... Personally I'm trying to not use any Qt
based application since few weeks.

> Regards,
> Matthias

Regards