PDFcreator

Laura Arjona Reina larjona at fsfe.org
Thu Oct 22 12:36:28 UTC 2015

Hi all

El 20/10/15 a las 09:39, Matthias Kirschner escribió:
> * Michael Kesper <mkesper at schokokeks.org> [2015-10-19 17:49:07 +0200]:
>
>> About "print to pdf": Most people I know use PDFCreator for that. Just
>> be sure not to install any malware with it. "I LOVE Windows"â„¢.
>
> I recently heard PDFCreator's new versions are meanwhile non-free. Has
> anyone checked? And does anyone know why this change happened?

This is my check:

* http://download.pdfforge.org/download/pdfcreator has the download
builds and zips with the source code. The source code of latest version
(2.1.2) does not include a LICENSE file.

* I have installed PDFCreator 2.1.2 in the computers of my institution.
If I go to the Help > License, I find the text attached.

* So: almost free, but bundled with a non-free library: pdfcmon.dll:
pdfforge Freeware License

* In addition to this, the installer of PDFCreator shows ads (and the
installer is detected as malicious by our BitDefender Antivirus because
of that), plus it tries to install "PDF Architect" along with PDF
Creator (and PDF Architect is not free), so the "good install" is
difficult for the average user (you have to tell them to select the
"compact install", not the typical one nor the full installation...).

This situation has made me write in my TODO list to try to find an
alternative to PDFCreator for the windows users in my institution (and
all the windows users that ask me for that). But I don't know how will I
find time to research about alternatives.

Ideally, most of the people should use LibreOffice here and then, save
as PDF directly, but I still have lot of work until we get there, plus
that PDF Creator is used by many people to save as PDF not only from
office suite, but from any program.

If/when I find something better I will report to this list.

Best

--
Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona