[FSFE PR][EN] For the FSFE, the battle continues

Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) press at fsfeurope.org
Tue Nov 9 12:47:24 CET 2004

Microsoft has steadily been soliciting supporters of the European
Commission antitrust case to withdraw their support for the Commission
by offering a series of financial settlements. The agreement with Sun
Microsystems to withdraw has now been joined by financial settlements
with Novell and the CCIA, in which they also agreed to withdraw from the
case.

In light of these developments, the Free Software Foundation Europe
(FSFE) reaffirms its determination to support the European Commission in
the landmark antitrust case, in which a decision is expected soon.

The list of supporters of the European Commission may be getting
shorter, but the FSFE and Software & Information Industry Association
(SIIA) are still participating in the case, and fighting on behalf of
European consumers. The FSFE's commitment to the case and its support of
the Commission is not undermined by the recent developments.

"There is not enough money in the world to buy our withdrawal from this
case. My client did not join this case in mere self-interest. Our goal
is to help the Commission restore some of the freedoms of the market and
restore the competition that was lost in previous years", explains Carlo
Piana, who represents the FSFE in this case.

"We believe that in cooperation with the SAMBA team we have done a
very good job so far and we will continue our effort for the sake of
those who are apparently all too easily forgotten -- the Free Software
developers and European customers.", adds Georg Greve, president of the
Free Software Foundation Europe.

Georg Greve points out: "We are financed purely by donations, and are
engaged in this struggle as we believe this is the right thing to do for
our supporters and for Europe. We will not give up this fight."

"For the Samba Team, this case is about leveling the playing field, and
encouraging Microsoft to use Royalty-free Open Public Standards in its
products" said Volker Lendecke & John Terpstra of the Samba Team. "We
fully support the FSFE and the European Commission in this case, and
will continue to provide direct evidence of how Microsoft has used its
monopoly to obstruct software interoperability and damage the
competitive landscape in Europe."

[1] http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2004/11/pr04076.html
[2] http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/53028

FSFE members are available for interviews and further details.

About the Free Software Foundation Europe:

   The Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) is a charitable
   non-governmental organisation dedicated to all aspects of Free
   Software in Europe. Access to software determines who may participate
   in a digital society. Therefore the Freedoms to use, copy, modify and
   redistribute software - as described in the Free Software definition-
   allow equal participation in the information age. Creating awareness
   for these issues, securing Free Software politically and legally, and
   giving people Freedom by supporting development of Free Software are
   central issues of the FSFE.  The FSFE was founded in 2001 as the
   European sister organisation of the Free Software Foundation in the
   United States.

   Further information: http://www.fsfeurope.org

Press Speaker:

   Joachim Jakobs <jj at office.fsfeurope.org>