brainstorming: which formats to use and which to avoid

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jun 19 08:23:44 UTC 2001

 jd> wk at gnupg.org said:
 >> Crypto protocols - Whitelist
 >> OpenPGP ;-)
 >> Kerberos [but watch out for MS extensions]
 >> SSH

 jd> Hmm. Isn't SSH on the Non-US list, because of the silly US export regulations?
 jd> In that case there would have to be a caveat on that.

No, I don't think so.  We are talking about data formats and protocols
and not about specific implementations.  The SSH format is documented
in the source code for version 1 and there are internet drafts for
version 2.

BTW, SSH has been developed outside of the U.S. and firthermore there
are currentlu no restrictions on the export of crypto software which
is freely available.

Ciao,

  Werner