Change for Caldera OpenLinux Workstation
m.a.eberhard at aston.ac.uk
Thu Jun 28 09:26:04 UTC 2001
On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 12:58:27AM +0800, Hong Feng wrote:
> if all of us in the mailing list like this idea, then we need to draft a
> set of criteria to evalute the freedom degrees of the distributions.
> Any comments on the criteria are welcome to send me to collect.
- Basic and most important freedoms:
- Can the distribution be copied and passed on to someone else?
- Can it be used on different computers at the same time?
- Does it include the full source code for all necessary components
for a minimal system installation?
- Is that source code covered by a free software licence?
- For finer distinctions for similar distributions:
- Which percentage of the packages/programs/disk space consists of free
- How essential are non-free packages for the normal use of the system
in the distribution?
- What is included in the "default system setup" of the distribution?
Hmmm, there are probably many more things to be considered here!
email: marc at greenie.net
email: m.a.eberhard at aston.ac.uk, web: http://www.aston.ac.uk/~eberhama/
More information about the Discussion