Comparing distributions

Tomasz Wegrzanowski taw at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 30 15:37:24 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 09:54:28AM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The issues that we want to compare are:
>
> * Does the Internet distribution include non-free software.  If so, how much?
>
> * Does the distributor distribute any CDs that are 100% free software?
>
> * If non-free software is included, is it labeled clearly as non-free?
>
> * Does the distributor express any regrets for the inclusion
> of non-free software?
>
> * Does the distributor develop software?  If so, how much free
> software development does it do, and what kind of software?  And does
> it develop any non-free software?  Any non-free software that goes in
> the distribution?

It's difficult to apply these tests to Debian.

1.
They include non-free but say that "it's not part of Debian".

2.
Debian developers develop free software mostly privately,
not inside Debian. (with the exception of Debian-specific software like
dpkg or apt). So you don't know how much free software they develop,
as it's not signed as made by Debian project, but as made by individual
Debian developers.