press release critique

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Thu May 3 06:26:45 UTC 2001

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 09:26:12PM +0200, josX wrote:
> > I want to explain my critique why I think that -- in my
> > view -- FSFE differs from FSF, and this is bad.
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Agree 100%

Disagreed 100%.

> Wavering away from RMS mostly results in chaos, does it not ;-) ?

It does not, or at least we have to take that it will not.

If you want to copy the FSF 1:1 to Europe, you must copy
RMS as well. With rms not being software we have to have different
(European) people following the vision in Europe.

Just 'following' a vision is a deaf act. Visions must permanently
be questioned, discussed and (of course carefully!) developed in the
context of a developing society.

Thus I would like to see the FSFE as a step forward
considering almost 20 years of Free Software permeating
society.

I am not saying that FSF or RMS have to change. Both are
perfect in what they are doing and besides, I doubt that
it is easy for FSF or RMS to undergo development of
a perfectly fine tuned vision.
It would be dangerous too, so the FSFE is our best chance.

Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/