press release critique

Josef Dalcolmo dalcolmo at vh-s.de
Fri May 4 08:43:31 UTC 2001

lh at lutz-horn.de said:
>> freedom and "free of danger" exclude each other. Freedom means risk.
>> If you want safety, you have to give up freedom.
> Why do you think this is the case?

Well, I thought I would get myself into trouble with this statement. I meant
it psychologically: To act in a free way, one has to make decisions, and
making decisions involves risk, at least psychologically (I could make the
wrong decision, and one does not always have the time to think everything
through to the end).

But I admit, you were probably not speaking of the psychological aspect, when
talking about freedom and risk. Still, the exclusion of risk is an illusion, I
believe. There are always things in life one cannot predict (fortunately), and
that means also that I could get sick, or poor or even die. If I want to
maximise my safety, I must avoid any dangerous activity, like climbing, flying
delta-plans etc. That means however, I have less freedom in my life. If I
choose a risky business decision I may have made use of more freedom but may
end up poor. Playing it safe restricts my possibilities.

We like to dream up an utopia, where freedom and safety coexist, but that is
only in our head.

- Josef