Logo timeline

Nick Mailer nickm at cream.org
Wed May 9 10:38:31 UTC 2001

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 01:58:18AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> writes:
>
> > 	- Anja's "GNU and Europe" is vetoed
> > 		http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~anja/gnu/
>
> Shame.  I really liked that.
>
> > 	http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~anja/gnu/textlogos/
>
> The first capitalised FSFE and the first in the square are both quite
> nice.  The lower-case ones there and here:
>
> > 	http://www.gnu.org/people/greve/fsfe/
>
> ...all seem to be from a past age, possibly the 1970s?  I really don't
> think it would be good for a supposedly opinion-leading organisation
> to have such a retro logo.

Indeed. The proposals are a gallery of the most ghastly logos I've ever seen.
If adopted, they'll have the rare distinction of making FSF Europe a laughing
stock just by looking at its letter-head.

How in God's name did these travesties of design make it to the
shortlist? Maybe, like an attempted suicide, they are a cry for help.
Certainly, they've spurred me into attempting to create something
better, and if the buearocratic wheels aren't trundling too intently,
I suggest you use these as the dire warning they are to get proper
designers interested in creating something that doesn't induce tears
of rage and pity on its display.

Good heavens. Imagine if RMS had released the first version of GCC
written in BASIC.

Regards,

Nick Mailer