Linux on Windows

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.org
Mon Nov 5 00:39:20 UTC 2001

I read something like that in Tasty Bits From the Technology Front
(www.tbtf.com, I think). They were concerned on privacy issues.

What is you (or somebody in your company) has the habbit of
making a copy of a previously written document, erasing the
contents and writing a new document on that copy, so that they
repeat the look of the documetn without using templates or so?.

Now what if the original document is more or less confidential
like a customer's list, an offer to a customer, etc. and gets
used as the basis of a document that is sent to someone who shouldn't
read it, and although the person sending it thinks he or she
erased the confidential info, it is still there and the recipient
can see it either by inspecting the file with an hex editor or
simply by coincidence when opening it in some other software ?.

I was told of a similar case in which by undoing changes the recipient
could revive the history of comments people in the originating
company had made to the drafts (they put the comments as text in the
draft and erased them later, but they were still in the undo log).
This case was only fun, but yes, the possibility is frigthtening.

I guess it's the eternal snake oil of promising people they'll get to
do complex things without thinking about them.

--
Xavi Drudis Ferran
xdrudis at tinet.org