University course in Free Software

Jonas Oberg oberg at fsfeurope.org
Tue Oct 12 15:04:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 16:52, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> > That's very interesting. A normal course here is 15 ECTS, with the big
> > courses at 30 ECTS. This is a comparatively small course of 7.5 ECTS
> > credits, which in Sweden means about 5 weeks of full-time studies (this
> > is part time, so it's 10 weeks).
>
> How many hours of lectures/exercises is that then?  The smallest
> course we have here is 3 ECTS points.  That is 15 hours of lectures.

That does sound like a lot of lectures. This obviously depends on what
the course is about. A theoretical course has much more lectures than a
practical course. But in general, a lot of focus here is on the students
ability to work in groups to learn by themselves, rather than having
someone lecture at them for lengths.

Looking at some of our courses, the amount of lectures seems to vary
between 2 and 4 hours per ECTS credit. However, it should be said, those
courses with fewer lectures often have more time when the students
should prepare and give presentations to each other.

Jonas