Is this the appropiate list?

NSK nsk2 at wikinerds.org
Mon Oct 18 11:18:12 UTC 2004

On Monday 18 October 2004 13:47, Xavier Amatriain wrote:
> If someone sends me a piece of Matlab code I cannot run it!
> What am I supposed to do?

In my opinion, we will never have truly Free software if we don't try to build
Free hardware. I mean, the design of the CPUs we use is
copyrighted/patented/tradesecret/whatever. If we want to run Free software,
we are forced to get a non-Free CPU. But now some people started designing
Free chip designs, so I hope we will soon have Free hardware in the future.
See: http://www.opencores.org

The problem you describe is real and I think it's similar to the "Java trap".
The java trap is that you write a GPL program for java, but java is not Free,
so in the end you end up being controlled by whoever provides the java
implementation. But some programmers understood the problem so they build
Free java alternatives.

About MatLab, I think that the best solution is to organise a group for
programmes in order to improve Octave or write a new MatLab-compatible Free
package.

If you think about it, you will see that Free software was always developed
this way. We didn't have any Free operating system at first but then
GNU/Linux came out of the effort of thousands of programmers around the
world, because people want to be Free. In the same way, if many programmers
and engineers agree to work together, we can create anything Free, including
mathematics software and computer hardware.

Oh, and a clarification: When I talk about Free hardware I mean the
copyrightable/patentable electrical-logical design, not the actual hardware.
The real hardware needs, of course, a factory in order to be build, but the
design can be just drawn on a piece paper (or a CAD file) :)

--
NSK
Admin of http://portal.wikinerds.org