Europe IST funding (1900 million euros) discriminates free software!

Jonas Oberg oberg at fsfeurope.org
Sat Oct 23 10:58:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 11:30, Marcel Ruff wrote:
>    Research institutes get up to 100% sponsoring,
>    companies get up to 50%,
>    free software gets 0%

I don't think this is a fair comparision. Free software can well exist
in both research institutes and companies. We should remember that free
software is no longer a separate entity. Free software should be present
in all projects that IST funds (ideally).

If you have read the IST Work Programme, you will indeed see that,
"the development of open standards and open source software will be
encouraged when appropriate to ensure interoperatbility of solutions and
to further innovation."

The FSF Europe has a special page for information about the sixth
framework programme: http://www.fsfeurope.org/projects/fp6/
There's also a mailing list there for fp6 related activities, if you
wish to participate.

Jonas