Website Engine - Footer Note

Laurence Finston lfinsto1 at gwdg.de
Sat Oct 23 18:28:03 UTC 2004

> But I just need a small footer note for my website's engine and not a
> text in "a real" program (like you can compile with GNU C Compiler). So
> I use this text instead:
>
> ----- Snip: -----
> 1. Line:  Foobar v1.2.3 Copyright (c) 2003, 2004 by Roland Häder
>
> 2. Line: This website's engine is free software which is released under
> the GNU GPL either version 2 of the License.
> ----- Snap: -----

You'll need the rest of the sentence because you've left the "either"
clause hanging.

> This is much shorter and will not take so much important space and
> traffic. Or shall my visitor see just 30% of my website's text and the
> last 70% is for the (c) note?

I don't quite understand what your engine is and how you're using it on your
website.  If you're just making it possible for visitors to your website to
click on something to use it, I don't see why you need to include a copyright
notice for it.   It wouldn't do any harm, though.   On the other hand, it may
be safer to do so, if it's possible for people to download your engine in a
usable form from your website, even if it's not your intention to distribute
it in this way.  If you are distributing it, then you should have a complete
copyright notice in your source code, whatever it is.

Laurence