On the EUPL

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Jul 28 07:50:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 01:50 +0100, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org> writes:
> > It looks like that "in-depth" analysis couldn't be anything but a few
> > google searches leading into one too-many GPL vs BSD flame wars. So in
> > order to avoid choosing a side, the decision would be to create a new
> > one.
>
> Here's an explanatory document from the authors of the license:
> http://europa.eu.int/idabc/servlets/Doc?id=21197
>
> From it, here's their evaluation of why the GNU GPL isn't suitable:
>
>   The GPL's major problem is that the right of communication to the public
>   is not provided explicitly amongst the granted rights, and that a clause
>   limits furthermore the granted rights to what is explicitly provided by
>   the license. Moreover, the GPL is known for being the most viral license
>   ever, whereas massive spreading through dynamic linkage is not the aim of
>   the European Commission.

Yes, I know.

* right of communication to the public -> absurd, reveals license wasn't
					  even read
* most viral license ever -> google search a-like conclusion
* linkage forcing -> why resume to one license? If that's the problem
there's always the Lesser GPL (although I'd prefer GPL all the way)
  -> again, google search a-like conclusion

It's what it looks like.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?