My concerns about GPLv3 process

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Feb 3 02:09:46 UTC 2006

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams at gnu.org>
> Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>
> >  For example a book on networks might want to include the OOB-Data
> >  text from glibc.  With 48 lines (w/o the example) it is clearly
> >  beyond fair use.
>
> You can ask the FSF to make a execption for examples.  This makes
> sense, and I doubt anyone would object.

and once more the hackers are reduced to serfs, begging the
copyright barons for permission to make sensible use of tools
they already hold. I wonder if we would have the FDL problem
if bright young hacker modifying a printer driver on a PDP-11
had also wanted to reuse a description from its manual for
another project?  (See http://www.faifzilla.org/ch01.html )

(Actually, www.faifzilla.org is an interesting case, under
the FDL but seemingly dead for over a year now, still not
meeting WCAG1A and still not applying the FDL as advised.)

--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask