Savannah rejects a project because it uses GPL

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sat Feb 11 13:43:45 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 14:18 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> You are obviously as hard headed as me.

And clearly, herein lies the problem :o)

I know the FDL is a particularly hot topic in our community, and perhaps
the following strategies would be worth following (all of us; I'm only
replying to Alfred because he recognises he's being hard headed :) :

      * if someone says something which annoys you; ignore it.
      * if someone says something you disagree with; ignore it or agree
        to disagree.
      * if someone says something which you think is incorrect, don't
        tell them they're wrong: give an example of where you disagree,
        and ask them [nicely] to explain why their viewpoint differs.

Those last two are difficult: many people, myself included, have trouble
telling the difference between them. If someone holds a different
viewpoint to your own, that doesn't automatically mean one or other of
you are wrong.

As an example: some people on this list believe anything which can be
digitised is capable of being "free software". Others don't. This is an
article of faith, not of correctness - both approaches have limitations.

There's that old rfc thing about being strict in what you send, and
flexible in what you receive. It kinda holds for email too: no matter
how flamey the email you read, send back something nice. Even if you
have to bite your tongue - don't be provocative.

And above all, please let's not be rude about each other. If you think
someone is being an ass, everyone else probably thinks that too, and you
don't need to mention it ;)

Cheers,

Alex.