[Fsfe-ie] Amendments, patent vote, half-answer

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Sat Aug 16 22:56:36 CEST 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 01:28:38PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> > ----- Forwarded message from Hartmut Pilch <phm at a2e.de> -----
> > One simple rule is: if Rocard, Greens and EDD don't all recommend "yes",
> > better vote "no".  If one or more of the Rocard group's amendments are
> > rejected, vote "no".
> >
> > This isn't to say that the directive with the Rocard group's amendments
> > will be an acceptable one.  Unless about 90% of the recitals and articles
> > are deleted or rewritten along the lines of the FFII counter-proposals, it
> > will still be a bad law that ought to be rejected, if the EP has any
> > self-esteem.
>
> Agh, it's so confusing :(

I wish we had firmer ground to stand on.

> > if Rocard, Greens and EDD don't all recommend "yes",
> > better vote "no"

So, now we have to figure out which amendments are endorsed
by Rocard, Greens, and EDD.  I'll ask Hartmut if a list exists
but I think he would have mentioned it if it did.

My interpretation is that we have to pass this info on to our MEPs and
say: "We understand the cost of rejecting this directive, we agree that
there is a need for a directive but the proposed directive is possibly
beyond repair."

ciaran.