[Fsfe-ie] MEP letter, updated, final comments?

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope2 at nedprod.com
Mon Aug 25 02:49:22 CEST 2003

On 24 Aug 2003 at 14:02, Malcolm Tyrrell wrote:

> Can we really ask for *all* the amendments be adopted? The amendments
> from the different groups will surely overlap and override each other.
> I'm not sure because I don't really understand europarl procedure.
> Argh!

The procedure is that all the amendments tabled are put into a voting
list. Voting in plenary then procedes down the list from top to
bottom. Some amendments towards the bottom get skipped if previous
amendments were passed that would make that amendment impossible or
too similar. This is controlled by the speaker of the house.

The order is derived by the parliament bureaucracy which is supposed
to place the most important amendments first - this being derived
from committee recommendations. Unfortunately, as with all things a
large party or powerful interests can influence the order.

Cheers,
Niall