[Fsfe-ie] Re: 2004 dates for the EU Competitiveness Council

Robert Dewar dewar at gnat.com
Wed Dec 3 14:01:18 CET 2003

Ian Clarke wrote:

> If anyone starts suggesting things like exemptions for free software it
> will be massively destructive to our cause as it would constitute a
> betrayal of our natural allies, the SMEs.  I hope nobody is so foolish
> as to advocate anything like this.

I very strongly agree. And my position here, as CEO of a SME that relies
entirely on a Free Software approach is an interesting one, since
clearly I am not arguing any special interest here :-)

Unfortunately, there have been people "so foolish as to advocate
anything like this", and indeed at one point specific amendments
suggesting such exemptions were proposed.

Robert Dewar
CEO and President
Ada Core Technologies (www.gnat.com, see also www.act-europe.fr)