[Fsfe-ie] EUCD: comparison with other countries' versions ?

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Thu Dec 11 13:08:37 CET 2003

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> I'll talk to Martin Keegan later today but people with knowledge of the
> Irish Copyright Act of 2000 are the most useful.

A general question, sorry if it is dumb:

How does the 2000 act affect us here?  (I am not implying that it
doesn't, I am just asking how it does ;)

Wouldn't any additional restrictions imposed by the Irish EUCD
implementation override any specific "fair dealing" provisions in the
2000 act?

In other words, even if the ICA2000 specifically states that the law
does not prevent fair dealing, this wouldn't necessarily prevent a later
law from protecting technologies that (among other things) prevent fair
dealing?

I guess this is the gist of the point I am trying to make in this thread.

Ian.