[Fsfe-ie] New Draft

Malcolm Tyrrell malcohol at eircom.net
Sat Dec 13 13:42:43 CET 2003

Hi there.

I've tried to tackle Clause 2 in line with Ciaran's worries. Ian Clarke
also identified a problem with their proposed ammendment, but I don't
think there is anything we can do about that particular problem:

> > It defines a "protection defeating device" as being one "which has only
> > a limited commercially significant purpose or use other than to
> > circumvent any rights protection measure"
>
> There is another dangerous ambiguity here.  What if the device's purpose
> is to "circumvent any rights protection measure" for the purpose of
> allowing fair use/dealing?

As it stands, the Irish Copyright Act considers a "protection defeating
device" to be a device whose function is to defeat a "protection measure"
without reference to whether this protection measure restricts the user
beyond "fair dealings". So our alternative ammendment:

> "which has only a limited commercially significant purpose or use other
> than to circumvent a rights protection measure to facilitate the
> infringement of copyright law"

would seem inappropriate in the context of the copyright act (and won't
get us anywhere). The fair dealings problem will be won or lost depending
on what ammendments are made to Section 374.

Anyway, I've attached a new draft. Opinions manditory!!!

Enjoy.

Malcohol.