[Fsfe-ie] New Draft

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Sat Dec 13 15:34:55 CET 2003

Malcolm Tyrrell <malcohol at eircom.net> writes:
> I've tried to tackle Clause 2 in line with Ciaran's worries.

A quick read of 6(2b) of the EUCD deepens my worries.

> > What if the device's purpose is to "circumvent any rights protection
> > measure" for the purpose of allowing fair use/dealing?

It's illegal 6(1)
http://www.ukcdr.org/issues/eucd/eucd.html#article6_1

> . The fair dealings problem will be won or lost depending
> on what ammendments are made to Section 374.

As far as I can see, it's lost 6(1).

But we should ask for all these things anyway:
a) in case we're wrong
b) to have it noted that someone wants thse rights.
c) In case the Dept ETE choose to value the public over the directive

You might be reading them already, but the transposition notes are
interesting:
http://www.entemp.ie/tcmr/iNFSOCE.doc

BTW, clause 4 looks fine, possible even slightly improved.  Clause 3
worries me a tad because it introduces the word "temporary" and I don't
understand it's significance.

I agree with your letter.
(mail dissorganised, in a rush)
--