[Fsfe-ie] Letter about EUCD implementation

David O'Callaghan david.ocallaghan at cs.tcd.ie
Sat Dec 13 18:32:18 CET 2003

Dé Sath, 2003-12-13 ag 12:24, scríobh Conor Daly:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 02:47:59PM +0000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
> Ciaran O'Riordan thought:
> [...]
> > amended with:
> > "Means of benefitting shall be permission to circumvent, or permission
> > to make use of a protection-defeating device to make legal use of a
> > copyrighted work, if no other practicable means is provided."
>
> The thing _I_ see in this is that the win32 DVD player that _is_ provided
> will be considered "practicable means" and so the linux-based free DVD
> player still will be illegal.

What if such "practicable means" require me to agree to onerous license
terms for, say, Microsoft's new Media Player software? Can I be forced
to choose between having a DVD I can't play on one hand and a DVD that
can only be played if I agree to a license requiring me to allow
Microsoft, say, access to my OS and network on the other hand?

David