[Fsfe-ie] Letter about EUCD implementation

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Mon Dec 15 17:01:23 CET 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 11:02:58PM +0000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Fergal Daly thought:

> I don't think crypto cracking is illegal unless of course you illegally
> intercepted the encrypted message in the first place. The others damage a
> person or property. Having a book read outloud in private does not.

Agreed.  However, the principle of restriction of your right to use your
computer unfettered already exists.  Thus it becomes an argument of
whether your use of your computer can become damaging rather than one of
the (more invasive) right to restrict.  Thus it becomes easier for the
EUCD to prevail.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)