[Fsfe-ie] electronic voting

Margaret McGaley Margaret.McGaley at redbrick.dcu.ie
Thu Jul 3 18:59:13 CEST 2003

To whom it may concern,

E-voting poses a threat to our democracy. This is my conclusion after 5 months
of research into the topic for my undergraduate thesis. My results are
available online at

          http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~afrodite/E-Voting/

I hope to mount a campaign over the next few months with the following goals:
- to prevent the use of the Nedap/Powervote system in Irish elections,
- to prevent the purchase of any more equipment or software from
  Nedap/Powervote by the Irish government, and
- to ensure that any electronic voting system introduced in Ireland meets the
  following criteria
    -  a booth is used, analagous to the traditional polling booth,
    -  all development uses formal methods,
    -  votes are printed on a paper ballot to be verified by the voter,
    -  all source code is publicly available.

If you would be interested in getting involved in such a campaign, or have any
advice/comments, please contact me at

          Margaret.McGaley at Redbrick.DCU.IE

or join (or mail) the mailing list

          e-voting at lists.stdlib.net