[Fsfe-ie] electronic voting

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Fri Jul 4 15:07:29 CEST 2003

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 10:58:29AM +0100, Aidan Delaney wrote:
> This is another high profile campaign (apart from the patents campaign) that I
> believe the Free Software movement (should we use Free Software or Software
> Libre?) has to address.  I volunteer to write a draft white paper on this
> matter from the point of view of Software Libre as I am familiar with both
> camps.  Any objections?

No objections here, I'm just glad someone has the time to do this.

Would you like to make it some kind of FSFE-ie Positional Paper?

I know there is no defined FSFE-ie but gathered people could
sign it, make themselves available to defend it, or help out by
reviewing it once you're done.

The only thing I'd like to mention is that for Free Software
to be most useful, there has to be a way to verify that the
software they show us is the same as the software they run
on the machines.  (If they stick code up on the net and
GPL it, how do I know that that is the code the machines are
running?)  This requires that all compilation scripts, base
data, and every line of code is available for testing.  It
is probable that the software will only run on special
e-voting machines but the oppertunity to do proper testing
should still exist for groups that have/buy said machines.

(Maybe this point is well known to involved people but I
 rarely see it get a mention.)

anyway, the important thing was the Positional Paper idea(?)

ciaran.