[Fsfe-ie] FOSS in Irish government

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Sun Jul 13 14:11:25 CEST 2003

Maybe this is old news but I know some people in one of the government IT
depts and I found out yesterday that there is a Linux evaluation project
going on. There is also a strong push from Brussels and now from the dept of
finance towards FOSS. Apparently the command is that if you want to use
something else you better look at FOSS first and come up with a good reason
not to use it. Who decides what's a good enough reason, I don't know. Good
news though.

Also I heard that one of their websites failed it's usability test for Mozilla
and so they had to go fix it. Good to see mandatory support for non-MS
browsers,