[Fsfe-ie] Draft rules

Glenn Strong Glenn.Strong at cs.tcd.ie
Sun Nov 2 14:29:28 CET 2003

Hi Everyone,

here is the sample constitution that I mentioned in my previous
mail. It's long-ish, so here's the gist of it:

  * Objective: promotion of Free Software
  * A general committee of 6+ people meeting not less than once a year
  * An executive committee of 3+ people meeting not less than
    bi-monthly (for "ordinary business")
  * Positions: Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer (all on both committees)
  * Membership: open to all, with annual fees.

I hope I haven't left any serious gotchas in the rules - they are
adapted from various templates.

The one term that is not defined here is 'Free Software' - I would
advocate including either
  (i) The GNU Free Software Definition (my personal preference)
  (ii) the DFSG (or the OSI's OSD - same thing)
as an appendix to clarify things. I have written Object 2 assuming we
will do that. I have purposely not selected a solution in this
document since I don't want to distract from the purely procedural
things that are also contained in it. Eventually this would be
something the committee would do when adapting the rules.

======= Proposed Constitution for IFSO =======

OBJECTS

1. The name of the Club shall be Irish Free Software Organisation ('IFSO')

2. IFSO will promote the writing and use of Free Software as defined
   by the guidelines below. IFSO will be active in affiliation and
   liaison with other similar groups and promote Free Software in the
   media, online and in daily activities

CONSTITUTION

1. MEMBERSHIP

1.1. IFSO will grant membership to anyone who asks for it.

1.2. Membership of IFSO shall comprise Ordinary, Student, and Honorary
     members. The Membership of Honorary Members may be limited in
     time.

1.3. All new members shall be invited to complete an application form
     for membership for consideration and approval by the Membership
     Committee.

2. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

2.1. At the start of each year the Chairman shall convene an Annual
General Meeting.

2.2. At least four weeks notice of the Annual General Meeting shall be
     given to each member of IFSO by such means as the Secretary shall
     deem appropriate. The notice shall specify the time and place of
     the Meeting and be accompanied by an agenda of the business to be
     transacted at it.

2.3. The agenda shall include, inter alia,

2.3.1. nominations for the offices to be filled for the ensuing year
       and shall include the following:
         The Chairman, the Secretary and the Treasurer all of whom shall
         be members of IFSO and shall hold office for one year but
         shall be eligible for re-election.

2.3.2. Nominations for these offices and any other offices shall be
       made to the Secretary in writing not later than two
       weeks before the Annual General Meeting.

2.3.3. The appointment of a General Committee which shall consist of
       the Officers under 2.3.1 above and at least three members whom
       the General Meeting elect.

2.3.4. A proposal to receive and approve the Annual Accounts copies of
       which shall be made available to the General Meeting which may
       be adjourned to receive and approve the audited accounts.

2.4 The amounts of the annual subscriptions and the dates upon which
    they become due shall be decided at the Annual General Meeting.

2.5. All paid up members of IFSO shall be entitled to attend and
     vote at the Annual General Meeting.

2.6. Election of officers shall be by a show of hands and in the event
     of any dispute the Chairman may call for an election by paper
     ballot or adjourn the meeting for that issue to be determined
     separately.

2.7. A quorum for a General Meeting held under these Rules shall be
     five paid up members of IFSO.

3. EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL MEETING

3.1. An Extraordinary General Meeting shall be convened by The
     Chairman upon receipt by him of a written request so to do signed
     by not less than six paid up members of IFSO such request to
     make specific the purpose of the request and any resolutions
     proposed.

3.2. The Chairman of IFSO shall within a reasonable period of time
     following receipt of such request convene an Extraordinary
     General Meeting by giving a notice to all paid up members as
     prescribed in clause 2.2. above.

4. COMMITTEES

4.1. General Committee

4.1.1. The General Committee shall have power to appoint a member to
       fill any office falling vacant after the Annual General
       Meeting.

4.1.2. A Meeting of the General Committee may be convened upon not
       less than one week’s notice being given to each member
       thereof.

4.1.3. The General Committee may co-opt additional members to any
       Committee or sub-Committee and may appoint one or more
       sub-Committees and for such purposes as it may deem
       appropriate.

4.1.4. A quorum for a General Committee Meeting held under these Rules
       shall be five members.

The Executive Committee

4.2.6. The Executive Committee shall consist of The Chairman, the
       Secretary, the Treasurer and any additional members appointed
       from IFSO Membership by the General Committee. A quorum for an
       Executive Committee Meeting shall be three members.

4.2.7. The Executive Committee shall have the conduct of the ordinary
       management of IFSO and shall meet as often as it may decide but
       not less than every eight weeks. The ordinary management of
       IFSO shall include the suspension of any Member of IFSO who has
       not paid his subscription.

4.2.8. The Executive Committee may refer any matter and shall refer
       any extraordinary or contentious matter to the General
       Committee.

7. ALTERATIONS

7.1 None of these rules shall be altered or rescinded unless the
  proposed alteration or rescission shall first have been submitted to
  the General Committee and subsequently shall be approved by not less
  than two thirds of those present at the Annual General Meeting or at
  an Extraordinary General Meeting.

7.2. Any dispute concerning the construction or interpretation of
     these Rules shall be decided by the General Committee whose
     decision shall be final.
--
Glenn Strong