[Fsfe-ie] a committee for IFSO

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Wed Nov 19 19:10:13 CET 2003

Hi all.
For IFSO to be an organisation, it needs a committee, so I'm going to
propose one.

The point of forming an organisation is to add some coordination to our
work, and to add weight to lobbying and advocacy that we do.  We have to
encourage the use of Free Software in governments, schools, businesses,
etc.  And we have to defend Free Software from legal threats such as
software patents, and from media misrepresentation etc.  This is too
much work for a committee.

What we really need is an active memberbase with a committee somewhere
on the sideline to manage the website, organise meetings etc.  Unlike
the average org, the IFSO committee will be assistants to the
contributors, not vice versa.

So we need a few people that won't screw the members, have an
acceptable level of Free Software knowledge, seem to be able to get
work done, and seem to have time to get work done.

So my proposal for the committee is:
Me
Malcolm Tyrrell
Aidan Delaney

None of us knew eachother a year ago, but in the last few months these
people have shown reasonable initiative, and ability to get work done.

Others have also been getting work done, but I hope this is an
acceptable committee, that will allow us to form an org and get back to
working on Free Software.

I've asked Malcolm and Aidan, and they're willing to be on the
committee.  After year 1 we'll have democratic elections, and the
committee will probably be increased to 5 people, but for the
first year, is this proposed committee acceptable?

--
Ciaran O'Riordan - http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/