[Fsfe-ie] Plan 9, Free Software (was:Beer tomorrow)

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope2 at nedprod.com
Fri Oct 17 01:54:44 CEST 2003

On 16 Oct 2003 at 1:04, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> In September 2002 it was observed that the published license for Plan
> 9 had been modified, adding more restrictions to it, although its date
> still said 09/20/00. However, a further license change in 2003 made
> Plan 9 free software. ------------->8---------

Well, I don't know what to say. The VMWare files which hold plan 9
were last altered on the 2nd August 2002 which is about right. I no
longer have the originals, so who can say?

BTW I'd be very interested in what the group thought of Plan 9? My
own thoughts: very interesting, I am very fond of the design but it's
not radical enough in many areas, and while Limbo is very nice is can
also be a pain (I missed pointers).

However my single biggest dislike of it was that it isn't intuitive,
and I felt the learning curve was unnecessarily steep - especially
for its desktop which is unpleasantly minimal IMHO.

Cheers,
Niall