[Fsfe-ie] stuff from the past week

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Sat Oct 25 18:42:27 CEST 2003

the list has been pretty quiet, so here's a summary of stuff that
hasn't been well publicised in the last week or so.

* The EUCD has been adopted. (ages ago)
  I decided to work on this only to find it was mostly too
  late.  All that's left is for the Irish govt to decide
  which of the 15 optional clauses to adopt.

* The "IPR Enforcement Directive" is on it's way.  I don't
  have much info on this.

* November 10th we'll have the EU Council vote on the software
  patents.  I'll be putting together a letter for list-review
  this week.

* A logo for IFSO? I was thinking of a cow, since it's the Irish
  equivelant to a gnu, but it might be hard to be taken seriously?
  then maybe a celtic warrior kinda thing? face + sword etc?
  ah, not important really.

* On tuesday 28th, Netsoc will be hosting a talk by journalist
  Karen Lillington.  The talk is about "Data Retention in Ireland".
  It's being held at 1900h in Theatre N, Arts. (<- arts building I
  pressume).  Ms. Lillington is a freelance journalist, regularly
  writing for the Irish Times and Wired, occasionally writing about
  [GNU/]Linux, and recipient of this mail:
  http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/fsfe-ie/2003-July/000047.html

* I stumbled on an west-ireland company call "Free Software Solutions".
  Not sure if it's still active, I sent them a mail but got no response
  yet, I'll try again some time but it's possible the owner has packed
  up and moved to Canada.  http://www.freesoftwaresolutions.com/

* I discovered that Ireland is _the_only_ EU state that doesn't have
  either a Free Software org or a digital rights movement.

* The list is up to 39 members.

* anyone got other stuff news?
--
Ciaran O'Riordan - http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/