Objective of IFSO Re: [Fsfe-ie] stuff from the past week [adelaney at cs.may.ie]

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Thu Oct 30 11:08:40 CET 2003

 || On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:20:10 -0800
 || jm at jmason.org (Justin Mason) wrote:

 jm> I fully support the FSF and free software -- but I (personally)
 jm> write "open source" software most of the time.

I am not sure I understand that statement.

Since the list of "Open Source" licenses approved by the OSI is
identical to the list of Free Software licenses approved by the FSF,
one who publishes something as one, always automatically also
publishes it as the other.

Given that "Open Source" was suggested as marketing program for Free
Software, that is logical, but it seems to be some sort of common
misunderstanding that is caused by the "Open Source" terminology,
which is one of the reasons why it should be avoided.

For the relationship between the two, please see
 http://fsfeurope.org/projects/wsis/fs.html

Regards,
Georg

--