[Fsfe-ie] Intro

Ian Clarke ian at dodo.freenetproject.org
Tue Sep 2 17:17:18 CEST 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 09:27:58AM +0100, Aidan Delaney wrote:
> Ian,
> > I am the founder and coordinator of the Freenet Project, a reasonably
> > well known free software project that has been around since 1999.
> I heard (on irc) recently that you had to move from the U.S. because of legal
> problems to do with having developed freenet.  Is this true?

Kinda, but not quite, I just discussed it in an interview here:
  http://grep.law.harvard.edu/article.pl?sid=03/09/02/0125236

> B.T.W. I admire your work on freenet.  One of the most positive things I've
> seen happen with it lately is that GNU Arch has a backend that allows
> publication onto freenet.  This will allow for distributed development of
> software that may be questionable in certain countries but is reasonable from
> a consumer point of view eg: DeCSS.

Yes, that is interesting although I am not yet sure that Freenet's data
retention will be good enough for this, but we shall see.

Ian.

Ian Clarke                			            ian at locut.us
Coordinator, The Freenet Project	      http://freenetproject.org/
Weblog				     http://slashdot.org/~sanity/journal