POTD was Re: [Fsfe-ie] For the record...

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Wed Sep 3 00:18:44 CEST 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 09:15:46PM +0100, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> * Where's the EU overkill copyright directive at the moment?
>   Isn't the committee vote coming up on Sept 11?
>   Should we be working on this yet/soon/after-patents?

I would say so -- but IMO, the patent issue is much more serious
for software developers.  The latter is a big issue for people
who may have to perform reverse engineering while developing
software; swpats affect all forms of software development.

AFAIK also, I recall hearing that the Irish copyright law since its
amendment in 2000 is pretty much a DMCA-alike already.

My thoughts are to concentrate on patents for now and do the copyright
thing after...

(PS: regarding getting a .ie, IMO it's not worth it.   Stick with
a .org, much easier to manage and cheaper too. ;)

--j.