[Fsfe-ie] UK gov intervenes to support software patents

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Sat Sep 20 19:21:16 CEST 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 07:55:46PM +0100, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2003 at 14:41, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
>
> > Is there a "Pro Vs. Anti" MEP table somewhere?
[snip]
> Alex Macfie from FFII has collated this information AFAIK.

>From previous conversations, I got the feeling that they have
a lot of info but they haven't gotten it organised yet.  IIRC,
he asked if I had such a table, and could I pass it on.

FFII keep a lot of info secret.  This can be
understandable, I'm not sure if I agree with it, but again
this isn't something we can change.  I'll see what info he
can give me.

(I mentioned that Malcolm Tyrrell was the other person with
 the most responses.  I think he's away at the moment and
 won't be back until after Sept 27th)

> >   The beef.  I want to work on another joint letter.  The
> > focus being on the text of the directive.  *Exactly* what
> > we don't like and *exactly* what would make us happy.  We
> > have to counter the FUD flying around the EP.
>
> Seeing as I seem to be too radical in my arguments for anyone to
> understand me, I'd like to offer more help this time. Though you must
> not let me have too much of my way, because then no one would
> understand the letter again! :)

I'll get that draft up asap for comment.

> Can I just add that MEP Brian Crowley said that your letter had had
> an enormous effect right across the parties (he specifically singled
> it out).

Kick ass.
This highlights a mistake I made though.  Since the letter was due to
arrive the day before the Sept 1st vote, I thought there wasn't much
point including contact info, so we never got feedback about it.

With our next letter, it would be good to include a note to
say that we are the originators of the previous letter.

ciaran.