[Fsfe-ie] 1-page letter, faxes at the ready (IFSO, irish org)

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Fri Sep 26 01:44:20 CEST 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:44:13PM +0100, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2003 at 15:47, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> > [IFSO] would not eat this list, it should have it's own lists.
>
> What's wrong with using this list?

hmm, I suppose we could continue with this list, it would be
simpler.  When the time comes, I'll ask for any objections.

> I have six years of activist experience behind me and in my
> experience, the people who get a job are those who are willing to do
> it.

(I think I'm agreeing with you)
Board positions will be offered to people who are willing and
presumed capable of getting the job done.  Attitude will be
a major factor.  There will be people who want to be on the
board to alter the direction of the org inline with their
own agendas, and there will be people who want to make their
voice louder.  But it must be highlighted, the board will not
be a priesthood, it should aim to facilitate the community, not
to control it.  Anyway, more of this some other time...

> IMHO the only call for more organisation is perhaps to get the
> official FSF Ireland designation and thus access to FSF resources.

Here's the deal:
FSF doesn't want loads of mini-FSFs.  A load of trust is required when
allowing an org to use the FSF name, so they have FSF, FSF-europe, and
FSF-india.  FSF-europe encourages the formation of national FS orgs
and has an "Associates" program.  After a short term of successful
running, an org can apply to become an Associate of FSF-europe.
Associate groups get consulted on the dealings of FSF-europe.

Info about the Associates program is here:
http://www.fsfeurope.org/associates/about.en.html

And the current list of Associates is here:
http://www.fsfeurope.org/associates/associates.en.html

what FSF resources would we want access to?
(I have access now.  When IFSO is formed, it will have access)

ciaran.