[Fsfe-ie] Free Software for Schools - Urgent

Aidan Delaney adelaney at cs.may.ie
Mon Apr 19 14:55:39 CEST 2004

Hey,
(copied to dez, a researcher in software in education and a GNU/Linux
user)
> Have a look at Freeduc, at http://www.ofset.org/freeduc/, by the
> Organisation for Free Software in Education and Traninng (ofset).
I've used some of this and it's godd in a limited sense.

> I got it as a CD on the cover of Linux Format over a year ago. If you can
> get a copy of it burnt for tomorrow, it would blow some teachers' minds, I'm
> sure.
One thing I've found out from helping in a school is that though
teachers may not know a lot about technology, they know a hell of a lot
about education.  Some of the knoppix and freeduc stuff is good but has
little educational value.  Assume that you are answering questions like
	* "What is the point?"
	* "What strands of the curriculum does this reinforce?"
The teaches I worked with know that technology has some value in
education and I think that they were correct to look for proof as to
it's value.  The only value I could prove to them was that I could show
students how to use technology using Free Software.  I couldn't even
help with their understanding of Maths, etc....  Even though the vast
majority of educational software tries to teach - it doesn't.
Aidan Delaney 	email: adelaney at cs.may.ie
		web:   http://www.cs.may.ie/~adelaney
		gpg:   http://www.cs.may.ie/~adelaney/public_key.asc