[Fsfe-ie] Indymedia Centre

Chekov Feeney chekov at indymedia.ie
Sun Apr 25 02:48:51 CEST 2004

Hi all,

First off, thanks for putting on the stand in the centre. There's a
photo of it at: http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=64562 and
some feedback from people at:
http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=64561 By the way, I love
the IFSO logo and your poster looks great.

In addition to the free software workshop, which we'd love your
involvement with, there are a couple of other sessions that are closely
related to free software.

On Tuesday at 6pm, there is a Communication Rights in the Information
Society (CRIS) campaign information session.  I don't know that much
about CRIS, but they seem to be mostly composed of academics and mainly
involved in lobbying the international bodies.  For example they had a
large presence at theWSIS in Geneva and the person giving the workshop,
Sean O Siochru, was there as a delegate. This could be quite interesting
for ye as I know that there are major issues with the EU and patent laws
at the moment.  He should be quite well-informed about that issue.

I was talking to Malcolm and suggested that we hold a workshop on
intelectual property rights and software related issues on Thursday at
6pm.  I can confirm that this spot is available if IFSO people are up
for it. There should be a fair few people interested.  In particular,
people from Indymedia Ireland would be very interested in learning more
about the various forms of copyleft licences (eg GPL, LGPL, BSD,
Creative Commons) and issues related to them. By Thursday there should
also be a fair few international media activists in town with
interesting contributions to make. There should be a couple of people
who took part in the WeSeize counter-summit in Geneva and there will be
people from Indymedia UK there too who recently participated in the
netstrike agains the patent laws and should have some interesting
input.  We could probably persuade Sean to take part too and gather an
interesting cross-section of people who are interested in issues related
to intellectual property rights - from "street-activists" to UN lobbyists.

Let me know if you are interested, either by email or when you see me at
the centre.

cheers
chekov