[Fsfe-ie] The Sunday Business Post and the Live CD

Jimmy O'Regan jimregan at o2.ie
Mon Apr 26 18:04:07 CEST 2004

David Cathcart wrote:

>>Morphix contains trace elements of proprietary software (nvidious
>>drivers),
>>

>That's in the game module, our cd dosent contain that module.
>

>>and it has MPlayer which is legally cloudy for some reason,
>>but it has a "morphable" configuration which makes it possible to remove
>>the proprietary traces.
>>

>Should we chuck mplayer then? Don't know if there are any non-free codecs
>on cd, must check.

The binary codecs are an extra package; the legal issues with MPlayer
itself are that ffmpeg (which is used by almost all of the free video
players) includes patented algorithms; and because the MPlayer
developers don't fully follow the conditions of the GPL (mainly, they
don't keep proper changelogs)