[Fsfe-ie] New patents proposal from the US

James Heald j.heald at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 30 20:59:49 CEST 2004

Éibhear wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in foreign lands right now and low on time, so I don't have much time to
> research this fully. However, there seems to be an interesting new proposal
> from the US and some major bodies there for patents. Read the summary at
> Groklaw and follow the links to read the report and its executive summary.
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20040428200118940
>
> Éibhear

The proposals read pretty much like "motherhood and apple pie", at least
to European eyes.   But I understand they may still be in for quite a
rough ride from some of the American interests, and the rather
conservative "don't change a thing" US small inventors lobby.

The problem, I think, is that faced with these proposals the Europeans
would probably respond "but we do all of this anyway, already" -- and
yet Europe still has granted vast numbers of really objectionable
software patents.

The proposal that seems to generate the most hope among American
supporters of the F.T.C. and now the N.A.S. proposals, is the idea of
giving all-comers a six-month European-style window to challenge any
patent application before final grant.

But actually, even in Europe such proceedings haven't made an awful lot
of difference -- huge numbers of bad software patents have still been
issued, and even large companies of the scale of say Canon don't feel
there's any great benefit in trying to do the Patent Office's job for
it, paying good money to do all the legal work of filing an opposition
just for the general benefit, unless there is a particular product line
or development interest they need to protect.

So: no silver bullet.

The key problem isn't an issue of patent quality -- even if some way
could be devised to objectively assess genuine "inventive height" in the
discovery of an algorithm, all the evidence is that in almost all cases
there simply aren't the societal benefits in granting such a patent to
outweigh the costs of sanctioning a 20-year monopoly on it.

The only line which really works is to say "no patents on the pure
processing of data" (nor for user interfaces, nor for general "ideas for
programs").

The N.A.S. sees enough problems with the USPTO that it didn't see this
as yet another sensitive battle it needed to fight.

But in Europe we should be quite clear: Software patents?  No thanks.

All best,

     James.