[Fsfe-ie] Charlie McCreevy

Seth Johnson seth.johnson at realmeasures.dyndns.org
Sun Aug 15 01:10:45 CEST 2004

"Teresa Hackett [default]" wrote:

> One of the lowest rates of corporation tax in Europe (and a great source of
> annoyance to Germany and France) has apparantly been one of the drivers for
> the economic upturn.
> I haven't been back in Ireland long enough to know a lot about McCreevy, but
> the reports over the last few days have described him as "unorthodox",
> "maverick", "having a personality" and willing to go against the tide if he
> is committed to something. This could work in our favour. And he is
> apparantly respected in Europe because of his policies.
> As a former finance minister, I guess that he would need to be convinced of
> the economic arguments against software patents.  So if we got some good
> people to speak to him, in Brussels or in Kildare, maybe he could be
> persuaded and he might not feel obliged to stick to the original Council
> decision, especially if the Netherlands, who now hold the Presidency, have
> also changed their minds.
>
> He was also described on RTE as being of the "cute hoor" branch of Irish
> politics-I confess I'm not sure exactly what this means ;-)

He gives lots of tax breaks and credits and exemptions on duties to
technology companies.

I think there's a course of action on software patents at the following
link, one that McCreevy is intimately involved in.

This is a meeting setting up performance indicators while talking about
"improving the flow of funding for innovative enterprises and new
entrepreneurs to foster employment" and "facilitating the creation of
innovative companies and taking full advantage of R&D effort."

I think we should start something where we get economic and political
analysts to comment on the uncritical use of the number of patents as an
indicator of innovation and research.  We can target that analysis to
McCreevy.

These indicators are used by somebody in government.  Who?  Whatever they
use them for, can be subject to incisive criticism.

The outcome would be to show how software patents stifle innovation, and
perhaps that this indicator is a false indicator that only shows that
they've encouraged foreign investment in a way that stifles innovation.

See below.

Seth

--

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

I reserve no rights restricting copying, modification or distribution of
this incidentally recorded communication.  Original authorship should be
attributed reasonably, but only so far as such an expectation might hold for
usual practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no claim of
exclusive rights.