[Fsfe-ie] [Fwd: Re: EU Commissioners Responsibilities]

Seth Johnson seth.johnson at realmeasures.dyndns.org
Sun Aug 15 13:29:10 CEST 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: EU Commissioners Responsibilities
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:48:18 +0200

< SNIP >

Portfolio Responsibilities of the Barroso Commission
Responsibilities Departments[1]

José Manuel BARROSO
President
Responsible for:
Political guidance of the Commission
Organisation of the Commission in order to ensure that it acts consistently,
efficiently and on the basis of collegiality
Allocation of responsibilities
Chair of Group of Commissioners on Lisbon Strategy
Chair of Group of Commissioners for External Relations Secretariat General
Legal Service
Spokesperson
Group of Policy Advisers (GOPA)

Margot WALLSTRÖM
Vice President
Commissioner for Institutional Relations and Communication Strategy
Responsible for:
Relations with the European Parliament
Relations with the Council and representation of the Commission, under the
authority of the President, in the General Affairs Council
Contacts with National Parliaments
Relations with the Committee of the Regions, the Economic and Social
Committee, and the Ombudsman
Replacing the President when absent
Coordination of press and communication strategy
Chair of Group of Commissioners for Communications and Programming Press and
Communication DG including Representations in the Member States

Günter VERHEUGEN
Vice President
Commissioner for Enterprise and Industry
Responsible for:
Enterprise and industry
Coordination of Commission's role in the Competitiveness Council
Chair of Group of Commissioners for the Competitiveness Council
Vice Chair of Group of Commissioners on Lisbon Strategy DG Enterprise and
Industry (renamed), adding:
Space (from DG RTD)
Security-related research (from DG INFSO/RTD)
Application of treaty rules on free movement of goods (from DG MARKT)
Agencies:
EMEA (European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products)
ECA (European Chemicals Agency)

Jacques BARROT
Vice President
Commissioner for Transport
Responsible for:
Transport
 Transport activities in the Transport and Energy DG
Agencies:
EMSA (European Maritime Safety Agency)
EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency)
ERA (European Railway Agency)

Siim KALLAS
Vice President
Commissioner for Administrative Affairs, Audit and Anti-Fraud
Responsible for:
Consolidation of Administrative Reform
Personnel and Administration
Budgetary discharge
Internal Audit
Fight against Fraud
Security
Chair of the Audit Progress Committee Personnel and Administration DG
Internal Audit Service
European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF)
Informatics DG
Office for Administration and Payment of individual entitlements
Offices for Infrastructures and Logistics
Relations with the Inter-institutional European Personnel Selection Office

Rocco BUTTIGLIONE
Vice President
Commissioner for Justice, Freedom and Security
Responsible for:
Justice and Home Affairs
 Justice, Freedom and Security DG (renamed)
Agencies:
EMCDDA (European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction)
EUMC (European Monitoring Centre on Racism and Xenophobia) * will be
combined with Fundamental Rights
Border Control (European Agency for the Management of Operational
Cooperation at the External Borders)

Viviane REDING
Commissioner for Information Society and Media
Responsible for:
Information Society
Audiovisual Policy
Coordination of Media Affairs
 Information Society DG adding:
Audiovisual policy and Media programme Units from DG EAC
Agencies:
ENISA (European Network and Information Security Agency)

Stavros DIMAS

Commissioner for Environment
Responsible for:
Environment
 Environment DG
Agencies:
EEA (European Enviroment Agency)

Joaquin ALMUNIA
Commissioner for Economic and Monetary Affairs
Responsible for:
Economic and Financial Affairs
Monetary matters
Statistical Office
 Economic and Financial Affairs DG
Statistical Office

Danuta HÜBNER
Commissioner for Regional Policy
Responsible for:
Regional Policy
Cohesion Fund
Solidarity Fund
 Regional Policy DG

Joe BORG
Commissioner for Fisheries and Maritime Affairs
Responsible for:
Fisheries
Coordination of maritime affairs
Chair of Commission Taskforce to develop a Green Paper on maritime Policy
Fisheries and Maritime Affairs DG (renamed) adding:
Transfer of responsibility for law of the sea from RELEX
Agencies:
CFCA (Community Fisheries Control Agency)

Dalia GRYBAUSKAITE
Commissioner for Financial Programming and Budget
Responsible for:
Financial Programming
Budget
 Budget DG

Janez POTOÈNIK
Commissioner for Science and Research
Responsible for:
Science, Research and Development
Joint Research Centre
 Research DG
JRC

Ján FIGEL
Commissioner for Education, Training, Culture, and Multilinguism
Responsible for:
Education and Training
Youth, Sport, Civil Society
Culture
Translation and Interpretation
 Education and Culture DG
Interpretation DG(SCIC)
Translation DG
Relations with Inter-institutional Publications Office (OPOCE)
Agencies:
CEDEFOP (European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training)
ETF (European Training Foundation)
CdT (Translation Centre for the Bodies of the European Union)

Markos KYPRIANOU
Commissioner for Health and Consumers Protection
Responsible for:
Public Health
Consumers Affairs
 Health and Consumer Protection DG
Agencies:
CPVO (Community Plant Variety Office)
ECDC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control)
EFSA (European Food Safety Authority)

Olli REHN
Commissioner for Enlargement
Responsible for:
Candidate countries (Rumania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Turkey)
Western Balkans
 Enlargement DG adding
Western Balkans Drectorate from RELEX DG
Agencies:
EAR (European Agency for Reconstruction)

Louis MICHEL
Commissioner for Development and Humanitarian Aid
Responsible for:
Development Aid and Cooperation
Humanitarian Aid
 Development DG
Humanitarian Aid Office (ECHO)

László KOVÁCS
Commissioner for Energy
Responsible for:
Energy policy
Nuclear Safety and Security
 Energy activities in the Transport and Energy DG

Neelie KROES
Commissioner for Competition
Responsible for:
Competition Competition DG

Mariann FISCHER BOEL
Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development
Responsible for:
Agriculture
Rural Development
 Agriculture and Rural Development DG (renamed)

Benita FERRERO-WALDNER
Commissioner for External Relations and European Neighbourhood Policy
Responsible for:
External Relations
Common Foreign and Security Policy
European Neighbourhood Policy
Delegations in non-member countries
Vice-Chair of Group of Commissioners for External Relations External
Relations DG
EuropeAid * Cooperation Office

Charlie McCREEVY
Commissioner for Internal Market and Services
Responsible for:
Internal Market
Financial Services
 Internal Market and services DG (renamed)adding:
Free movement of capital from ECFIN DG
Responsibility for business related services and management of notifications
by MS of draft rules on services from ENTR DG
Agencies:
OHIM (Office for the Harmonisation of the Internal Market * Trade Marks and
designs)

Vladimir SPIDLA
Commissioner for Employment, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities
Responsible for:
Employment
Social Affairs
Equal Opportunities
Chair of Group of Commissioners for Equal Opportunities Employment Social
Affairs and Equal Opportunities DG (renamed)
Agencies:
EUROFOUND (European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working
Conditions)
EU-OSHA (European Agency for Safety and Health at Work)

Peter MANDELSON
Commissioner for Trade
Responsible for:
Trade Policy
International dimension of cometitiveness
Member of the Group of Commissioners for the Competitiveness Council Trade
DG

Ingrida UDRE
Commissioner for Taxation and Customs Union
Responsible for:
Customs
Taxation
 Taxation and Customs Union DG

>>> Seth Johnson <seth.johnson at RealMeasures.dyndns.org> 08/15/04 06:48 AM >>>

On this article:

http://www.eureporter.co.uk/articles/article.cfm?id=1530

. . . does the link to the Commissioners' responsibilities work for anyone
else?  Did anyone perchance get it before it may have been taken down?

Seth

--

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

I reserve no rights restricting copying, modification or distribution of
this incidentally recorded communication.  Original authorship should be
attributed reasonably, but only so far as such an expectation might hold for
usual practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no claim of
exclusive rights.