[Fsfe-ie] RTE Morning Ireland piece on MyDoom virus

teresahackett at eircom.net teresahackett at eircom.net
Mon Feb 2 22:30:35 CET 2004

Thanks, Ben for this. I have just listened to the piece on Morning Ireland(http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0202/morningireland/morningireland5a.smil) and I do think it is worth making a fuss about. And a good opportunity to promote IFSO as well ;-) I think that IFSO should contact William Campbell (http://www.buatraining.com/) to ask on what basis he made the claim that the "open system" (sic) community is behind the virus and offering to have a discussion with him. Even SCO say "We do not know the origins or reasons for this attack, although we have our suspicions.". At least he will know about IFSO and will be cautious about making such claims on national radio in future. Could also send a note to MI refuting the claim and explaining the ethos of free software.
I'm not the person to do this, perhaps one of the committee??

Teresa

> Well, possibly, if it did distract attention from the >real purpose of the worm.  But you're right; this is all >heavily speculative.  Maybe it's not worth making a fuss about.
>
> Ben.

Teresa Hackett
114 Cedar House
Mespil Estate, Sussex Road
Dublin 4, Ireland
Email: teresahackett at eircom.net
Dutch Mobile: +316 523 63486 (until 19.3.2004)
NEW! Irish Mobile +353 87 6253768