[Fsfe-ie] RTE Morning Ireland piece on MyDoom virus

David O'Callaghan david.ocallaghan at cs.tcd.ie
Tue Feb 3 12:03:17 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 21:30, teresahackett at eircom.net wrote:
> Thanks, Ben for this. I have just listened to the piece on Morning Ireland

> (http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0202/morningireland/morningireland5a.smil)

> and I do think it is worth making a fuss about. And a good opportunity to
> promote IFSO as well ;-) I think that IFSO should contact William Campbell
> (http://www.buatraining.com/) to ask on what basis he made the claim that

> the "open system" (sic) community is behind the virus and offering to have
> a discussion with him. Even SCO say "We do not know the origins or reasons
> for this attack, although we have our suspicions.". At least he will know
> about IFSO and will be cautious about making such claims on national radio
> in future. Could also send a note to MI refuting the claim and explaining
> the ethos of free software.
>
> I'm not the person to do this, perhaps one of the committee??

Here is Mr Campbell's response to ILUG. He claims that he didn't say
that the OSS community were behind the virus. But he does say

  "From the choice of targets  (SCO and MS) I think it is fair to
  guess that the creator of mydoom leans more towards one side of this
  argument than the other"

He goes on to demand that allegedly defamatory emails are removed from
the ILUG archives and accuses ILUG or individual posters (it's not quite
clear) of libel.

http://www.linux.ie/pipermail/ilug/2004-February/010955.html

David